USDA – Temporary Guidance for Verbal Verifications of Employment and Interior Inspection Appraisals and impacted by COVID-19 Pandemic Emergency
- Updated June 30, 2020 to extend effective date for temporary guidance for obtaining verbal verifications of employment and appraisal reports.
USDA - temporary guidance for verbal verifications of employment and interior inspection appraisals and impacted by covid-19 pandemic emergency
USDA has issued temporary guidance for income verification and appraisals, repair inspections and in response to the COVID-19 Pandemic Emergency. The guidance is effective immediately for loans currently in pipeline and new submissions, and in effect until August 31, 2020.
verbal verification of employment
When a Verbal Verification of Employment (VVOE) is not obtainable within three business days of closing due to the temporary closure of a borrower’s employer, or other reason due to the COVID19 pandemic emergency, NewRez will permit the following:
- a direct electronic verification of employment from a Third-Party Verification Vendor that provides immediate work status reporting, or
- an email from the borrower’s employer as an alternative.
When an email is used to verify employment, it must:
- Be within three days of the Note date,
- Be from the employer’s email address, such as email@example.com (no Gmail, yahoo, etc.),
- Be from the borrower’s direct supervisor/manager or the employer’s Human Resources department,
- Contain all the standard information required on a VVOE, including the name, title, and phone number of the person providing the verification, and
- Identify the borrower’s name and current employment status.
If it is not possible to obtain an email from the borrower's employer, NewRez will waive the re-verification of employment within three business days of the Note date, provided:
- that the correspondent is not aware of any loss of employment by the borrower, and
- for purchase transactions, evidence that the borrower has a minimum of two-month PITI reserves; and
- a year-to-date paystub or direct electronic verification of income (e.g., TPV vendor such as The Work Number) for the pay period that immediately precedes the Note date.
NewRez will not accept bank statements as alternative documentation to the VVOE.
For self-employed borrowers, NewRez is requiring verification that the borrower’s business remains operational and must be done within 10 business days of the Note date.
Any reduction or loss of income that is disclosed as result of the verification of employment or the borrower after the Condition Commitment (3555-18) has been issued and prior to closing must be evaluated for resubmission to GUS and USDA for updated approval.
Residential appraisal reports - existing dwelling
For Purchase and Non-Streamlined refinance transactions, when the appraiser is unable to complete an interior inspection due to COVID-19 concerns, an Exterior-Only Inspection Report (2055) will be accepted. In such cases, appraisers are not required to certify that the property meets HUD Handbook 4000.1 standards. Appraisal must be completed in accordance with USPAP and UAD standards.
This temporary appraisal report exception does not apply to new construction properties.
repair inspections - existing dwelling
When a repair completion certification is not available due to issues related to the COVID-19 pandemic, a letter signed by the borrower confirming that the repair work was completed is permitted. Evidence of completion, which may include photographs of the completed work, paid invoices to contractors indicating completion, certificate of occupancy certifications issued by inspectors, and other similar documentation is required.